Welcome
Welcome to welshhighland.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. However, to participate in discussions you do need to register. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

new PW diesel?

Anything to do with internal combustion.

Moderators: Roger Dimmick, ChrisD

Re: new PW diesel?

Postby AndrewT » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:02 am

Different number of wheels.

Driver's seat looks like something off the Starship Enterprise:

AT195065.JPG

Engine looks beefy enough:

AT195066.JPG

Ben's a good name...
Andrew.
Hen Hafod am byth.
AndrewT

Postby Richard Watson » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:36 pm

Comparing AST's photo and this one of the Statfold Barn Hudswell-Badger, they're not the same design.

Accepted - my original information was that these were 0-6-0s, which they clearly aren't - 0-4-0s more likely.

Reference to the IRS handbook suggests these are Hunslets, 4wDH with exhaust scrubbing equipment. Corus Shotton Cold Strip Mill nos. 1 &2 Hunsley 9248 and 9262 of 1985.

Practically brand new!

Richard
Richard Watson

Postby bobsmith » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:03 pm

Richard Watson wrote:...///...
Reference to the IRS handbook suggests these are Hunslets, 4wDH with exhaust scrubbing equipment. Corus Shotton Cold Strip Mill nos. 1 &2 Hunsley 9248 and 9262 of 1985.

Practically brand new!

Richard

Well, only 25years old - I suppose in comparison with K1 and others that really is very new....
Bob Smith
Somewhere in the UK, unless working abroad....
bobsmith

Postby bobsmith » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:25 pm

A quick dig shows that these may be quite significant locos in their own right - they were at one time thought to be the last narrow gauge locos built by Hunslet, but this is not so, as there were a number of 3ft gauge locos built for the Irish peat bog operations. However it is probably true to say that they were among the last Hunslet narrow gauge locos built for the UK mainland.
They were built with 115bhp Ford engines with hydraulic transmission. So not in the "super power" league, but a pair of useful yard shunters, not really suited to front line service (possibly not geared for much more than 15mph?), but well suited to chugging around at low speed on yard and p-way duties.
As for the battery loco - who knows, I'd lay money on the battery being "past its sell by date", and if the ex Chunnel construction battery loco I was looking at the other day is anything to go by it would be a hard task to convert to 600mm.
Bob Smith
bobsmith

Postby Nick Griffiths » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:34 pm

bobsmith wrote:A quick dig shows that these may be quite significant locos in their own right - they were at one time thought to be the last narrow gauge locos built by Hunslet, but this is not so, as there were a number of 3ft gauge locos built for the Irish peat bog operations. However it is probably true to say that they were among the last Hunslet narrow gauge locos built for the UK mainland.
They were built with 115bhp Ford engines with hydraulic transmission. So not in the "super power" league, .....

Scrutinising AST's phot of the engine, the fuel pump pipework suggests it's a six cylinder engine - more than 115bhp, surely? I was reminded of the Bord na Mona "Wagonmaster" locos when I saw the pictures, so presumably from the same drawing board.

Nick
Nick Griffiths

Postby AndrewT » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:04 pm

Yeah deffo six cylinders and more than 115bhp I'd say. Should get the details on Monday.
Andrew.
Hen Hafod am byth.
AndrewT

Postby bobsmith » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:20 pm

Wagonmaster was on the same drawing board - indeed might be a localised name for the same basic design.
Mid 80s Ford truck diesel was a very long life unit, 6 cylinder, low output (100-130hp) in non-turbo form, up to about 180 or so in turbo form. Later generations of the same engine are up to about 250.
Bob Smith
bobsmith

Postby Martin Coombs » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:36 pm

Looking at AST's photo...

Now if only they had thought to give us a couple of hundred of those automatic couplings...!

(I think the South Tynedale Railway may be the only British NG line using auto couplers - ex NCB from Northumberland and Durham collieries.)

Martin
Martin Coombs

Postby Perry » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:47 pm

I was curious to learn more about the Indian NG locomotives and received this reply.

Dear Sir,

I apologize for the delay in reply.

I believe the ZDM 2 locomotives are past their working age and are withdrawn. We do not have any fresh sighting of of these locomotives in our gallery for many years now.

Only a visit to the Motibagh loco shed at Nagpur could confirm the latest position.

The continued use of an older loco like the ZDM2 is unlikely when newer locos are available for duties. The shrinking NG network on the Indian Railways has resulted in a surplus availability of locomotive.

Currently, the 2'6" Narrow Gauge (NG) routes are run with ZDM3, ZDM3A, ZDM4, ZDM4A and ZDM5, while the 2' NG routes are worked with the NDM1 and NDM5.

A few relevant images -

A ZDM 2 displayed at Nagpur Narrow Gauge museum = http://www.irfca.org/gallery/Locos/Dies ... ewsIndex=1

Several ZDM 2s in the scrapping line from 2005 http://www.irfca.org/gallery/Trips/cent ... 2.jpg.html

The Motibagh shed tried to rebuilt ZDM 2s = http://www.irfca.org/gallery/Locos/Dies ... ewsIndex=1

Last sighting at Chchindwara. Jan. 2003 = http://www.irfca.org/gallery/Locos/Dies ... a.jpg.html

The NG locos vitally important on the Indian Railways - just a few years back, a few ZDM3s were rebuilt with dual cabs = http://www.irfca.org/gallery/Locos/Dies ... ewsIndex=1

Please do let us know if we can help in any other way,

Regards

Apurva/ IRFCA Support

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 8:43 PM, Perry Debell wrote:

Please can you tell me what happened to these 25 B-B NG locomotives after the Nainpur-Gondia section was rebuilt as broad gauge.

http://www.irfca.org/faq/faq-loco-diesel-mg.html#ndm-1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balaghat#Transport
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The latest 0-4-0 335 hp NDM 6 units seem not to be in service. It's a pity about the handsome ZDM 2 locomotives. http://www.irfca.org/apps/locos/show/25

Regards,

Perry
Whilst entitled to your own opinion, you are not entitled to your own facts!
Perry

Postby AndrewT » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:17 am

Can't see much evidence of a turbo round the other side...

AT195067.JPG
Andrew.
Hen Hafod am byth.
AndrewT

Postby stanthedog » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:09 am

Hopefully funds permitting the two planets will get the attention they deserve, particularly Upnor. I've still got a distant memory of travelling across the cob in the cab of a clean shiny ex works condition Conway
stanthedog

Postby ChrisD » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:24 am

bobsmith wrote:A quick dig shows that these may be quite significant locos in their own right - they were at one time thought to be the last narrow gauge locos built by Hunslet, but this is not so, as there were a number of 3ft gauge locos built for the Irish peat bog operations.

As far as I'm aware, the last narrow gauge locos built by Hunslet at Jack Lane in Leeds were a batch of 600mm gauge locos for the Jubilee Line extension in London, constructed in 1994. Two are now at Gelerts Farm, one is at Leadhills in Scotland and I think there may be one at Leighton Buzzard and possibly one at Statfold

Hunslet in its current incarnation have also built steam locos like Statfold and Jack Lane in around 2005.

CHRIS
ChrisD

Postby timmyE » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:41 pm

It's a good job these have been bought now that the sh**ty has been completly destroyed after only a couple of days at Dinas.

Tim
timmyE

Postby pj » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:47 pm

ChrisD wrote:
bobsmith wrote:A quick dig shows that these may be quite significant locos in their own right - they were at one time thought to be the last narrow gauge locos built by Hunslet, but this is not so, as there were a number of 3ft gauge locos built for the Irish peat bog operations.

As far as I'm aware, the last narrow gauge locos built by Hunslet at Jack Lane in Leeds were a batch of 600mm gauge locos for the Jubilee Line extension in London, constructed in 1994. Two are now at Gelerts Farm, one is at Leadhills in Scotland and I think there may be one at Leighton Buzzard and possibly one at Statfold

Hunslet in its current incarnation have also built steam locos like Statfold and Jack Lane in around 2005.

CHRIS

I can confirm that one is at Leighton Buzzard and that adrian shooter also has one that pulls his dinning carriage
pj

Postby bobsmith » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:22 pm

What's the current situation with the three locos discussed in this thread?
Bob Smith
bobsmith

PreviousNext

Return to Diesel Traction